Food for the Homebound
Meals on Wheels
Member: NYS Chapter
This program is funded by:
Albany County Department for Aging, the New York State Office for the Aging and the United Way of the Greater Capital Region.
Over 450 volunteers work with Senior Services of Albany in providing services to homebound seniors that enable them to remain at home and independent. Meals on Wheels drivers deliver much needed nutrition, and they also provide a personal “life-line” through their daily visits.
- Albany County Department of Health
- Albany Medical Center
- Eddy Visiting Nurse Association
- St. Peter’s Hospital
- Visiting Nurse Association of Albany
- Visiting Nurse Service (Schenectady)
To access the government subsidized program in Albany County, call Albany County New York Connects at (518) 447-7177 and ask for “Intake”. Clients must be at least 60 years of age and generally unable to prepare meals. Referrals from a neighbor, family or friends, as well as self-referrals, are welcome.
Our Meals on Wheels Program
Senior Services of Albany’s Meals on Wheels program provides individuals with a nutritious and delicious home cooked meal. Statistics show that good nutrition is essential for healthy aging, the prevention or delay of chronic disease, and overall quality of life. If cooking a nutritious meal has become difficult or maybe even impossible, let our friendly, professional and well-trained drivers deliver a hot and nutritious meal to your door.
The dedicated staff is working in the Meals on Wheels kitchen each morning at 6 am to prepare more than 500 meals a day for our seniors. Hot meals are delivered each day Monday through Friday between 11:00 am and 12:30 p.m. with frozen weekend meals available upon request.
Meal on Wheels also has a “chilled meal” option which provides you with an additional “lighter” meal for consumption at a later time. Each meal includes an entrée, milk, whole wheat bread, a serving of fruit and at least one serving of vegetables.
For more information call Tashi at (518) 465-6465.
How to Enroll
Your Meals on Wheels service can be paid for in a variety of ways:
- For only $36.00 a week you can start getting hot, delicious meals delivered to your home within 24 hours. Call Tashi at (518) 465-6465.
- If you are homebound, unable to cook for yourself or if you lack refrigeration or food storage facilities, you may be eligible for funding though the Albany County Office for Aging. Call NY Connects at (518) 447-7177 for your assessment.
- Managed Long Term Care Insurance Carriers (Fidelis, VNA Home Care, VNSNY Choice, United Health Care, Wellcare) also provide funding for Meals on Wheels. Call your carrier today.
- Meals on Wheels can also be purchased in 10, 20 and 30 meal packages which make a great gift for a loved one. Call Barbara at (518) 465-3322 for more details.
- For individuals who are not eligible for funding from Albany County Department for Aging, and earn less than $20,000, there may be funding available from the SENIOR SERVICES OF ALBANY Hunger Relief Fund which is supported by local companies, foundations. Call Barbara at (518) 465-3322 for more details.
Some Words From Our Clients
Laura loves all the food we serve and looks forward to her home delivered meals every day. She especially loves the crunchy fish!
Gertie always calls to say how wonderful Meals on Wheels and Senior Services of Albany are. She says that everyone is so caring and the service and everything about MOW is just amazing!